Monday, March 30, 2015

Gracias a que Él vive

Querida familia y amigos,

Los amo MUCHO!!! This week has seriously been such an amazing week for me. So many amazing learning experiences and opportunities to grow. 

The week started off with an intercambio that we had on Tuesday morning. I went with Hermana F. (from Chile) in....guess where....SANCHEZ CERRO, SULLANA!!!! It was such a beautiful experience to be able to return to my first area in the mission. Sometimes as a missionary it's so easy to feel like you don't make that much of a difference in the areas where you're servinig, but because of the blessing I had to go back to my first area, I was able to see that the work of the Lord in the places where I've served doesn't stop when I leave (kind of like how life back at home doesn't stop when I come on the mission haha). She was able to tell me about various people that we were teaching that have now been baptized, are faithfully continuing in the church, or have been reactivated recently. One of the neatest experiences that I had was when all of the appointments in the morning had fallen through, and Hna Fernandez asked me if I could think of anyone that my companion and I had been visiting that we could go see. I remembered a less active that we had found about a week before I left the area. I led her to the house and when we got there she asked me "Are we looking for Hermana Julia?" and I said, "Yeah! That was her name!" Then Hna F. proceeded to tell me that she had recently been reactivated and had just moved houses last week. When I heard that, I felt the Spirit touch my heart in such a beautiful way. I know that sometimes in the mission I may not have the chance to participate in the actual baptism or see someone return to the church, but that's the beautiful thing about this work....it doesn't end there. As we all work together, members and missionaries, the work of the Lord keeps moving forward, week after week, after month after year. I love this gospel so much and this wonderful work of salvation that I have the chance to be a part of right now. 

One of the other amazing experiences that we had this week was when we were able to go to the General Women's session of conference. I know that I've told you all this before, but my testimony of the importance of the family in God's plan has grown SO much here on the mission, and Saturday night was another opportunity to have that testimony strengthened. I loved the video of the families that were singing the song "The Family is of God". I didn't ever hear that song before the mission, but the primary kids sung it last year in the primary program and it really called my attention. It's such a beautiful testimony of the family and the amazing, divine purpose that it has in this wonderful plan of our Heavenly Father. The other part that I really liked was what Sister Oscarson said about being defenders of the family. I am a witness to the sad things that are happening right now in the world to those families that are not living the gospel or don't understand the importance of their family. I want you all to know that I know that the family is ordained of God. I know that it's not always easy to be around a bunch of people who probably think a lot differently than you most of the time, but I testify that there is nothing more important in this life than your family. It's worth every sacrifice of time, money and effort that we're able to put into it, and it's an investment that will keep paying us back not just for this life, but for the next one as well. I was able to reflect once more on my wonderful family and thank my Heavenly Father for having sent me to them and blessing me to learn from their examples as we walk through this life. I love my family so much!!!

Needless to say, it was a wonderful conference. It was also really neat because Hermana Rosa (the woman that we helped with her barbeque thing) was able to go with us, and she really enjoyed it and learned a lot. Unfortunately we've had a couple complications with the paperwork for her wedding, so she hasn't been able to get baptized yet, but she keeps going strong and we're really grateful for that. :)

The other thing that I wanted to share with you guys this week was a quote that I read in the conference talk from Cheryl Esplin last October conference. She quoted Elder Melvin J. Ballard who said: "Who is there among us that does not wound his spirit by word thought, or deed from Sabbath to Sabbath?...there is a spirit attending the administration or the sacrament that warms the soul from head to foot; you feel the wounds of the spirit being healed and the load being lifted." I love that so much. It's so true. I am so grateful for the opportunity that we all have this week to celebrate the life, ministry, death and resurrection of our Savoir Jesus Christ. I know that He lived and died so that we can all live again, and that more than that, so that we can all be healed from the mistakes we make and wash our garments in His blood. I'd invite each of you as you prepare for the General Conference this upcoming weekend that you can reflect on who Jesus Christ really is for you and what is your personal testimony of how He can bring hope and light to your lives. Similar to what the church was doing during Christmas time with "He is the Gift" they have a video and website called Because He Lives (At least I think that's what it is in English). I hope that you can all take a moment to see the video and set some goals as a family, as a couple, or as an individual, for how you can bless someone's life through this video and by helping them to come to know their Savior more. ( a great idea for FHE :))

I know that Jesus Christ lives. I know that He is my personal Savior and that through Him, I have been able to recieve the joy and hope that I feel in my life everyday. I love you all so much and I hope that you remember that you have a perfect older Brother that's looking out for you and longing to help you and those in your life as long as you're willing to look to Him.

Because He Lives, I am a missionary serving in Piura, Peru for 18 months, and because He lives, I know that all things are possible.

Have a wonderful week! 

Love,

Hermana Garner

No comments:

Post a Comment