Monday, March 16, 2015

Happenings in Micaela

To the wonderful people in my life,

I hope that you all are having a fabulous week and that you know that there's a missionary down here in Peru thinking of and praying for you! I love you all so much! 

This week has been kind of a crazy, up and down week but also a really good one! Thank you all so much for your love, letters, support and prayers...they are all very gratefully recieved :) Last Monday night, Hermana P. had to go to Lima to finish up her visa papers. I stayed with Hermana G., which was kind of neat because she was the missionary that I went out to proselyte with when I got to the mission on my first day, and she's now in her last transfer of the mission and we got to be companions again! It was kind of funny and it was a good experience. It always amazes me just how much I can learn from the other missionaries in such a short time. But we had a good time and it was a little bit sad to leave her when we went to get our companions on Tuesday night (but not that sad, because I honestly really missed Hermana P. too). Tuesday was such a happy night for me though because while we were waiting for their flight to arrive, Hermana O. showed up (she had been assigned to come and pick up another sister) and it was so wonderful to see her! She told me that a woman that Hermana S. and I found and taught in Tumbes was baptized and keeps going strong! That was such neat news to recieve. Also, my ward in Tumbes has a bishop now! Yay! The funny thing is that it was the same man from the high council that they had left in charge of the ward...so there wasn't a whole lot of change haha. It was so nice to see her and to catch up :) 

Also, when they got there I was surprised to see that Hermana G. was with Hermana P.! Apparently she'd gotten to the airport just a few minutes after I left with Hermana G. the night before. She gave me the biggest hug ever :) I love that girl a whole lot :) It was a really fun night for me...a mini "companions of Hermana Garner" reunion haha :)

I was also really thankful for one of the brothers in our ward that has a taxi and offered to drive us to the airport and was willing to wait for us to take us home after they got there. It was nice because their flight landed at about 9:30 at night so after they had gotten off the plane and we drove all the way to the other side of Piura in Micaela, it was about 10pm. The airport is not in the safest part of town, so it was nice to have a ride that we knew was secure. :)

However, the whole trip to Lima was not very good for my companion...I can't remember if I told you guys this, but she's pretty much been sick since she got to the mission. She's been having tons of stomach issues, and she has a really strict diet...and since she couldn't eat any of what they had for her in Lima, she hardly ate anything and when she got back, she was pretty bad. :( We ended up not being able to go out at all on Wednesday, and she's still recovering. We're working everything out with Hermana Rowley, but if you could all keep her in your prayers, it would be really helpful :)

Also, Hermana R. (that has a baptismal date for the 28th) has been really discouraged this week, and Hermana P. and I were really confused...we had no idea why her attitude changed so quickly and we were really worried. We felt like everytime we went to her house, she only let us in because she's a nice person, not because she wanted us there. We prayed a lot to know what we could do to help her out, and finally had the idea to do something really simple for her. So we made her a little card with some encouraging scriptures and pictures and expressed our love for her. Then instead of bothering her by calling her out to come and get it, we just left it at her house. On Sunday in church, she came up to us and gave us both a huge hug and almost started crying. She thanked us for being so supportive and for helping her with all of this. She's been having a hard week and the note really helped her. We were really grateful for the guidance of the Lord that helped us know what she needed in that moment :)

A kind of funny moment that happened this week is that the elders in our ward had to give talks yesterday. The poor elders had completely forgotten that they were supposed to speak, so they ended up both just basically bearing their testimonies. But the funny part was that our district leader, Elder C., has the tendancy to say "como" a LOT. (in the way that he uses it it's like he's saying "like" a lot) Hermana P. and I ended up counting the number of times that he said it during his talk and it ended up being almost 40 times in about 5 minutes!!! When he asked how it went, we told him that he said "como" a lot, but it was good! Haha It reminded me of the time that I spoke in the fireside we had on trek and when I asked Paige how it went, she said "Well, you said um about 51 times, but it was good!" haha :)

Anyways, I hope you all know that I love you all ton and you're always in my prayers!!

Love,

Hermana Garner

No comments:

Post a Comment