I hope that you've all been able to enjoy this last week and that you're remembering to study your scriptures daily, pray, and are preparing diligently for your Family Home Evenings tonight! ;)
This week has been a really neat week here in Micaela Bastidas. Thank you all so much for your prayers in my companion's behalf....miraculously this week her health has improved a lot! Thank you for your thoughts and for giving me the opportunity to be reminded just how powerful prayer is, even across very large distances.
So this week something really amazing happened...it RAINED here in Piura! It was kind of funny because we had just been talking with our new RS President abuot how this tends to be the time of year that they get rain here in Piura, and how strange it was that it hadn't come yet...then the next day it rained pretty much all day! Kind of funny. I was able to learn this week that Piura really wasn't built to get a whole lot of rain...and especially not Micaela Bastidas. It rained all night one night, and the next morning almost EVERYTHING was drowned in water. I think I told you all when I first got here that pretty much all of Micaela is sand and dirt right? Well, turns out that when it rains it's pretty much all MUD! Go figure, right? :) Hermana P. and I had to find some creative ways to get around because of all the mud...and even though it was kind of dirty, the cloud cover was definitely really nice! (even though the next day was SO hot and humid...but oh well! there's just no getting out of the fact that it's just HOT here in Piura haha)
| Rain in Piura |
This last Thursday we had our Multizone conference with President and Hermana Rowley. It was a really neat conference. We talked about the importance of having our own personal testimony. It was based on the talk from Elder Christensen in the last Conference entitled "I Know these things for myself" (or something like that). It was a great opportunity to reflect on my own personal testimony and what it is that motivates me to be here as a missionary and what will be my motivation after the mission to stay strong in the church. They also "introduced" us to President and Sister Rasmussen that are going to be the new mission president and wife starting at the end of June. They seem really nice....even though Sister Rasmussen doesn't speak Spanish (yet) so that will mean a couple of differences in how they run things here in the mission. I'm excited for the opportunity that I'll have to learn from a new mission president for at least one transfer! When we were sitting there at the end of the meeting listening to the testimonies of the missionaries that will be going home in the next two transfers, one of the sisters from my group leaned over to me and said "Sister Garner, that's going to be us in the next Multizone conference". It's so crazy how fast the time goes here. I wish there was some way to slow things down, but since there isn't I'm just hoping to take advantage of every moment that I have left!!
Also this week, we had the opportunity to have a really neat experience with one of our new investigators, V.. Coming into this week Hermana P. and I were wondering a little bit how everything was going to work out. We did a lot of cleaning up in our weekly planning session, and were able to decide between some of the people that we've been teaching and take the time to differenciate between those that are just "students" and those that are really interested in investigating the church. Unfortunately, that left us pretty short on people to visit. However, we were able to really help Hermana V. out a lot this week, and was able to go to church this Sunday with her two kids (her husband had to work this week, but hopefully next week he'll also be able to join us) and they had a really great experience. Last night we were able to talk more in depth about the plan of salvation and the concept of eternal families and it was something that they were really excited to hear about. I'm so grateful that even in a week that-starting out-looked a bit bleak, the Lord was able to bless us with a really neat family that hopefully we'll be able to help make sacred covenants with Him.
I know that this church is true. I am so grateful for my Savior Jesus Christ that came to this earth to make the plan of salvation a reality. I know that families can be together forever, but only as we take the steps the Lord requires of us to get there. I know that Joseph Smith was called of God to restore these truths to the earth, and I am so grateful to know about them and to be a missionary and have the opportunity to teach about all these wonderful blessings every day! Love you all so much! Remember always that the gospel is true, and if you don't know it yet, there's only one way to find out: through prayer :)
Love,
Hermana Garner
| My companion straightened my hair today! |
| What a little over a year in Piura does to your tan line... |
No comments:
Post a Comment