Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Learning about obedience and faith

Dear family and friends,

Great week here in Miguel Grau. This week we had the opportunity to have a zone meeting with President and Sister Rowley, followed by the interviews. The Zone Conference was really powerful. We talked about how we use the time we spend in our apartments and how we can have studies and planning sessions a lot more effective. I personally left that meeting with a lot of new goals. It was interesting because the day before we had gone to pick up a sister from the ward that was going to go on visits with us, and we found her doing her math homework. My mind was filled with all of the different experiences with math....ahh. It was kind of funny because I explained to them that I really didn't like math all that much. They laughed and asked why and I explained that sometimes it just didn't work out that well and I got kind of frustrated. As I reflected on that I made an interesting connection. In math there are a lot of rules. If we know the rules and we follow them, then we'll be able to find the solution to the equation. However, if we choose not to follow the rules or if we don't know all the rules, then solving a math equation can be kind of a frustrating endeavor. It's a lot like our lives. The Lord has given us a set of commandments or rules that will help us to obtain success...the "solution" to the equation of life. But, if we don't know the rules or commandments, or choose not to follow them, then this life can become a pretty frustrating endeavor as well. I thought that was kind of a neat thought.

As I reflected on that thought during the zone conference and during my (final) interview with President Rowley (they finish their mission at the end of next month), I realized that there are a lot of things that the Lord requires of us. As we get older, the math gets more complicated and kind of like in calculus, there are a lot more letters or question marks than numbers or answers. But, if we're willing to be obedient to the rules or commandments, then we can trust in the Lord that in the end we'll reach the solution and find success in our lives. I loved that. The Lord requires a lot from us sometimes, but He requires just enough that He knows we can't be successful on our own, and we need to learn to rely on Him. As we are obedient, we show Him that we trust Him, and He blesses us and the things that we thought wouldn't work out do. It's so important to be obedient! I promise that as we keep working hard to be obedient to the commandments of the Lord, our lives will be a lot happier because He'll be taking care of us and helping everything fit into it's place like it's supposed to. 

Also, in other news, Hermana Ana is going to be baptized THIS SATURDAY!! Last week her doubts started really getting to her, and the opposition from her friends was really strong. So, we helped her understand that fasting would help her strengthen her testimony so that she could resist all of that doubt. So on Saturday we started a fast with her. When we saw her at church on Sunday, she was so much better. She said that she felt a lot more sure about her decision and that everything is on for Saturday!! YAY! She will be such an amazing member. She has so much purity in her and she truly is such a sincere seeker of truth. She's willing to recognize the answers that the Lord gives her and act accordingly, and I just know that she's going to do so many amazing things for His kingdom here on earth. So excited for her.

I don't have a lot more time today, but I hope you all know that I love you tons! Shout out to Kim for her mission call...so excited for you! I'm sad that I won't get to be there when you leave, but I know that there are people anxiously awaiting you in your mission, and you'll be a great missionary!

This is the work of the Lord and He is here working with us. Keep looking for opportunities in your lives to share this gospel with the pèople that the Lord puts in your paths. 

Love,

Hermana Garner

No comments:

Post a Comment