Monday, November 24, 2014

Oh the adventures of being a missionary....

My wonderful family and friends,

I hope this week has been a great one for all of you! The work of the Lord keeps moving forward down here in Tumbes! 

So, a couple of funny things that happened this week:

-One night my companion and I were heading home for the night and since we live in the center of town, there's always a ton of people. So we were just walking all normal and everything, when someone asked me (in English) "Hey, how's it going?" My companion and I stopped and turned around and there were these two girls...around our age that were standing there and started talking to me in English. It caught me totally off guard and it was super weird because even though I could understand what they were telling me, I couldn't figure out how to respond! There was this awkward moment of silence and I asked them, "Pero ustedes hablan espaƱol?" and they told me they did so we talked in Spanish. Ahhh it was so weird. Turns out they were from Ohio but they live in Ecuador and they were in Tumbes because there Ecuatorian visas expired so they had to leave the country for a bit. They were looking for a pizza place haha and ya know, it's pretty obvious if you see someone as gringa as me walking around in Peru, you're gonna guess that she speaks English....but I guess not this one! Haha it was super funny and my companion was making fun of me the rest of the night...haha it makes me a little scared how it'll be after another 9 months when I come home....but thankfully that's a while away! :)

-The other funny thing that happened this week was that one of our investigators gave a cup of this stuff that's called "arroz con leche" (milk and rice). It was covered with a piece of plastic glued to the top of the cup, so I stuck it in my bag thinking, "I'll eat it later". Weeeeellll that didn't turn out quite like I had planned it! We went to the house of a sister that was a reference, but it ended up being her mom. As we were sitting there talking to her for a bit, I felt something warm on my lap and thought "uh oh". I opened my bag a little bit while the lady was talking and sure enough...there was arroz con leche all over inside my bag! At first it wasn't very funny because EVERYTHING was covered, including my Libro de Mormon and my conference edition of the Liahona...but we went to the house of a member that lived nearby and she helped us clean everything up, gave me a new copy of the Liahona, and a bag to carry my things in. She's the greatest. We ended up laughing the rest of the day about the whole situation, and thankfully my scriptures came out all right, after washing them, letting them dry, then separating every single page haha. Quite the experience. :) But lesson learned: don't ever put arroz con leche in your bag, even for 10 minutes, or it will explode, and make sure you're good friends with the members so that they can help you out if something similar happens :)

And now, we'll move on to the more spiritual part of my week. :)

This week, our stake went to the temple in Ecuador, and Hermano A. and Hermano M. (two of the people that I've helped teach and baptize) went and did baptisms for the dead!! It was such a proud mother moment for me :) They've been progressing so much, reading their BOM, going to church every Sunday, blessing and passing the sacrament, and even sending the names of their ancestors to the temple so that they could be baptized for them! And Hno A. got a calling to be the YSA leader for our ward and yesterday he taught his first class in the second hour. That's been one of the biggest blessings of staying here in Tumbes for such a long time...seeing these two progress. This work really is true, and when there's sufficient support from the ward and conversion, and they make it all the way to the temple, its one of the greatest feelings to be a part of. Hno A. (he's 22 years old) has even been talking a ton lately about going on a mission, and he's been fasting and praying about it. AHH. It's so neat to see all of this. 

The rest of the week was pretty normal, we had our Zone meeting on Thursday and talked even more about repentance and the conference that we had last Saturday with Elder Evans. I'm so happy to be a missionary at this time of my life. I know that this work is what my Heavenly Father needs me to be doing right now, and I know that it's such an important and powerful work. I love being a missionary! 

I love you all and I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving week! Since they don't celebrate Thanksgiving here, eat lots of Turkey and be super grateful for me okay? Love you all! 

Love,

Hermana Garner 

Las Hermanas de la zona TUMBES!




No comments:

Post a Comment