This week was kind of a super crazy week! Right now we're in the process of finding people to teach and so number wise this week has been really really low, but we're in good spirits and working with lots of faith to find the people here that are prepared to listen to our message and be able to progress in the gospel.
The biggest thing that happened this week is that we were able to travel to Piura on Friday and Saturday for a conference with the ENTIRE mission with Elder Evans from the first quorum of the seventy. Even though that meant that we lost about two whole days of proselyting, it was so worth it. We left on Friday afternoon after our weekly planning session and lunch and everything, and started the long, 5 hour bus ride to Piura. The hardest part about that trip is definitely getting carsick. Since we're always on the top section of the bus, it gets a little wobbly up there and causes some major headaches and diziness haha. I tried to read a little bit, but that made my headache even worse (and my companion and I both forgot to bring Ibueprofen :/) so gave up on that! We ended up playing the Book of Mormon Go fish game with our district leader Elder M. and his companion Elder D.. It was super fun and helped a lot to keep distracted from the carsickness and pass the time. Thanks so much mom!! :D
We finally got to Piura at about 8pm. While we were waiting for the Hermanas that we were going to stay with that night to come pick us up, a bunch of elders came to pick up other sets of elders. It was fun seeing some of the people from past districts and zones! I also saw Elder J. Palmer (who I went to high school with) for the first time in his mission! He's been here for about 6 months already, but since I've been in Sullana and Tumbes my whole mission, I haven't gotten the chance to see him! It was kind of crazy to see someone from home. Then, it turns out that we spent the night in the apartment of Hermana Martinez and Hermana Shill--and it just so happens that I met Hermana Shill before the mission too, because she lives in Mesa and we have a lot of friends in common. It was kind of a crazy night! But kind of fun :) They took us to get hamburgers in front of their apartment, then we all went to sleep.
Saturday morning we got up early, got ready, and headed to the stake center in Piura for the conference at 7:40 am. When we got there it was so much fun seeing all of my friends from my group in the CCM, past companions and, well, everyone! It was such a fun experience. The first thing we did was take a picture with Elder and Sister Evans and the whole mission. I'm sure that they'll pass it along to us sometime, but I definitely would love to see that picture! Afterwards, we were able to talk with Elder and Sister Evans individually for a couple seconds each. It's been kind of fun because he doesn't speak spanish, so we've been practicing introducing ourselves with the Latinos. My companion was particularly worried, but she did great :) I think I had a harder time answering in English than she did! How embarrassing...haha.
Then we spent the next 5 hours or so listening to Elder Evans. A few of the points that really stood out to me was that he focused a lot on how we need to love our investigators enough to teach them to repent and not just skip from faith to baptism. The order is faith, repentance, baptism...etc. NOT just faith and baptism. It was really powerful. He also talked a lot about finding in the way that the Lord wants us to...which means NOT knocking doors and rather applying what we learn in Preach My Gospel Chapter 9...that we should talk with people and not at or to people, and that we need to ask for referrals from EVERYONE. (but mostly our investigators, less actives and recent converts...the active members aren't always the best source because they're so involved in the church, they don't always have other friends that aren't members...something I can relate to a little bit) It was an amazing conference, and totally worth the 10 hours of travel time and even the headaches that resulted from that.
As I've been reflecting the last couple of days about what I was going to tell you guys about the conference, a couple of thoughts came to my mind, so I'm gonna go ahead and share them if that's okay!
Each and every one of you have the power to be an instrument in the Lord's hands to change someone's life. Pray, pay attention to the Spirit, and ACT. If, right now, someone is coming to your mind-no matter what your brain is trying to tell you should be your excuse-that's called revelation. Act on it. The Lord wants to help that person change their life through you. Strengthen youf faith and testimony and don't be afraid. When we sincerely share the gospel with all of our hearts and with love, the people whith whom we share it will feel if and it will have a powerful impact and be a big step in their lives. For those of you that have served missions, you should know what it's like. I don't know about you, but sometimes I don't feel like in my short time here in the mission I'm going to be abot to make a whole lot of difference, but I think that's because the greatest past of the mission is that it's a learning experience. It's what we're supposed to take from it. NOW is your time to BE the member that you needed in your mission. That's what keeping your tag pinned to your heart really means. Also, I'd like to invite each of you to read the talk "Was it Worth it?" by Elder David F. Evans. It's really amazing.
And, last of all, I want you all to know that I love you, and I miss you. I'm so grateful for this gospel and I really do know it's true. Make good choices this week and always remember who you are.
Love,
Hermana Garner
| P-day with her district |
No comments:
Post a Comment