Monday, April 21, 2014

Another Wonderful Week in Sullana!

Buenas Tardes Familia y amigos!

WOW this week has really flown by. I literally cannot believe that it's Monday again...already. This Wednesday will be my 4th in the field...crazy stuff man.

This week was pretty interesting. Lots of crazy stuff going on! We have some really awesome investigators...one of them is named Alejandro. He is so great. He's about 25 and lives with his family who is all Catholic and really religious. He told us on our first visit that he felt like a lot of the things that they do are contrary to what we're told in the Bible, which is why he doesn't like to associate himself with the Catholic faith. He is very studious and always reads what we assign him and more. His questions are really deep and heartfelt, and he's praying really hard to recieve an answer that what we're teaching him is true. We're hoping this week to be able to help him to get to church next Sunday and help him to feel the Spirit testifying to him in our lessons. Also if we could find him a friend in the ward I really think that would help....but we'll see what goes down. 

We also just recently started teaching two of the grandkids of a man in our ward. They're 14 and 16 and they are really intelligent. They love to ask really hard, deep questions that really make us think...but they have a lot of faith and a lot of love for Jesus Christ and all that He did for us. Hopefully we can help them to resolve a few of their concerns, and that we can get their parents more involved in the lessons. We're pretty hopeful that they'll accept a baptismal date sometime in the near future...they are so ready, we just need to help them see it! ;)

A little more about this week. On Tuesday, Hermana Rios woke up feeling really sick and couldn't focus. It was really rough to see her in so much pain. So we talked to the Hermanas Capacitadoras and Hermana Rowley and got permission to stay in and rest for the day. While Hermana Rios got some rest I got a lot of studying in, and got caught up on some of my training videos and things that we'd gotten a little behind on. It was a really productive and great day for me...but in a different way than normal. However, I was pretty much about to go crazy by about 5pm, so thankfully she was feeling well enough to go to a couple of our appointments that night :)

On Thursday we travelled to Piura so that Hermana Rios could visit the medical clinic there....but we forgot that it might be closed because it was Semana Santa (Holy Week)...soooo yeah.  Bascially travelled to Piura for nothing :). It was not fun to lose another day of appointments, but it was pretty comical and there wasn't really anything we could do about it at that point, so we just laughed and hopped on a bus back to Sullana. It was really funny then too because there was this guy that got up in the front of the bus and basically preached to us the whole time about how we all have something wrong with our bodies and he had all of the natural cures for us...pretty great stuff haha. Everyone has their way of doing business I guess, right? 

This week when I've been writing in my journal, I'll find myself starting to write random words in Spanish without noticing, or having to sit and think for a minute to remember the words in English! Whenever that happens, I do a little happy dance in my head. :) As strange as it sounds, it's pretty encouraging to be forgetting a little bit of English haha!

Another funny thing that happened this week is that Hermana Rios has a song on one of her CD's that she really likes, but it's in English. SO she decided that I needed to write out the lyrics for her so she could practice it as part of her language study. It's pretty great stuff. I'll be in the bedroom part of our apartment and she'll be like: "I'm going to sing my song now!!" and start blasting the music. It's pretty much the best thing ever.

This week before church, our district leader asked us to come a half hour early so we could help get everything set up for sacrament meeting. When we got there, we spent about 20 minutes cleaning all the dirt off of the benches and sweeping the hallways and classrooms that were also covered in dirt. The cleaning of the chapel here is supposed to be a ward effort, but nobody showed up the night before to clean it. I'd encourage all of you to be super grateful for the opportunity tohave such clean church buildings and be willing to help out with the cleaning, because everything is so much easier when there are more people. Also, be grateful that it stays clean longer than 20 minutes because there's not constantly dirt everywhere haha!

Also, during the second hour of classes yesterday, all of us missionaries were kinda freaking out because the person that was supposed to teach the Gospel Principles class never showed up! So that meant we were in charge of a lesson we hadn't prepared for...at all. I bet you can imagine how freaked out that made me...not knowing a language makes it a little difficult to come up with an impromptu lesson haha. But thankfully the lesson was essentially the story of the restoration (and I know a few phrases by now to use for that ;)) haha so it turned out alright. I was pretty nervous though! I hope somebody was able to understand what I said haha.

The other funny thing that has been happening a lot recently is that people--random people we meet in the street or random moto drivers--like to practice their english on me haha! They'll randomly start shouting out "Good Morning!" or "Hello!!" it's pretty comical. 

Thanks to Hermana Rios--who will randomly refuse to answer the phone or call someone we need to call (to force me to practice haha)--I'm getting a little bit better at talking on the phone! We did have a little mix up this week where the person I was talking to thought I said six thirty when I actually said three thirty...tres and seis sound pretty similar ;)...but everything worked out alright in the end!!

Annndd there you have my week! Also, I bought a new camera today, but we didn't really have time to take many pictures, but I'll send along the one that we got while waiting at the internet place. Love you all! Have a wonderful week!!

Love,

Hermana Garner

No comments:

Post a Comment