Monday, September 8, 2014

Whooo! Another Transfer in Tumbes!

Mi Querida Familia y amigos,

Buenas tardes from a beautiful afternoon here in Tumbes :) Antes que nada I guess I should tell you all what happened with transfers this week. So the good news is I'm staying!! The bad news (even though it was what we expected) is that Hermana C. left me :( She's headed back to Piura as a Hermana Lider...she's so amazing it totally doesn't surprise me one bit. I'm so excited for her and I know she's going to have great experiences there, but I'd be lying if I told you I wasn't more than a little sad when she left. But I'm really excited to get to work with my new companion too, and I know that I'm going to have a lot of opportunities to learn as well!

And now for the rest of the week. So last Monday, we had a FHE with two of our recent converts--Hermano M. and Hermano A.--along with Hermana C. who is a less active, and her two little kiddos. We had a really great time. We had them each read a story from the Liahona about Lambert the sheepish lion. Then after that we had them act out the story. It was really funny to see them put up the paper masks we made and try to act it out. however, the purpose of the FHE wasn't the skit, but rather about little papers that we had handed out to each of them at the beginning of the evening. We wrote on the papers that each person should volunteer for something, but without telling anyone else what was written on their paper. In the end, we explained that the little services they did for us by volunteering for the prayers and the skit helped us to have a successful evening. We explained that through small and simple acts of service we can make a big difference. It turned out to be a pretty fun night, even though as a punishment for losing the games we played afterwards I had to dance the peruvian version of the Chicken dance. Haha.

Another funny thing that happened this week is that we were waiting outside the door of a less active sister, and Hermana C. told me--DONT MOVE. So automatically I start to freak out and all I want to do is move...then she tells me there's a BEE in my hair! But she's extremely afraid of bees and wasn't sure what to do, so I tried to shake it out while running down the street a little...but then I stepped wrong and almost fell flat on my face!! I can't imagine how funny it looked to see a gringa tripping all over herself while lashing her blonde hair all over the place then basically falling...but the worst part wasn't even the fact that it was on a main street...because the bee was STILL IN MY HAIR. Thankfully we were able to get it out, but man, what an adventure haha. We laughed pretty good at that one! 

On Thursday we had a really neat day. We had our Zone Conference in the morning that was really neat. We focused on how setting goals and making a plan for how to reach them is extremely important...especially with the fact that they've now added a few more requirements for who can be baptized. It was a really neat meeting and I really learned a lot. I loved a comparison that one of our zone leaders made--that our missions are like a soccer game: do we want to be sitting on the sidelines watching our mission pass by? or do we want to get on our feet and play? I definitely know what I want to be doing! It was a good moment to reflect on what I can be doing better.

I also got the two packages you sent me mom, as well as a letter from Grandma and Grandpa Hugh, and one from C. B. THANK you all so much! Hermana C. and I especially enjoyed all the candy from the states. :)

That afternoon, the grandchild of our pensionista was baptized. They asked us to go and support them, and it was such a neat service. Even though he only is 8 years old, he bore a powerful testimony, and the Spirit was super strong. So neat! 

The rest of the week was busy just like normal, nothing much new....except that Hermano M. now has a goal to bless the sacrament next week...he's been a little bit nervous so hasn't wanted to do it, but we talked it over with him, and yesterday he was able to see how they do it so he says he feels a little more prepared. Yay!

Today Hermana C. left at 7am, and I stayed here with Hermana G. (her comp also left) and we had a good time talking in our now totally broken English and going shopping while we waited for our new companions to arrive! She's a really great missionary and I'm glad we got to get to know each other a little bit better today! My new companion is Hermana S. and she's also from Bolivia! She's 23 years old and this is her last transfer in the mission. We've only been together a little over an hour, but I can tell that she's a really amazing missionary--very loving and obedient! I think we're going to be able to work really well this transfer :)

Love you all!! I hope that you've had a wonderful week and that this week goes well also! Never forget the power of a small act of service or love...especially for the people closest to you. I encourage each of you to take a moment in this week and look for a way to serve someone, even if it's just a smile :) Love you guys! Thanks for everything!!

Love,

Hermana Garner

No comments:

Post a Comment