Thursday, July 10, 2014

Tumbes-Week 3

Dear Family and Friends,

Holy cow I really can't believe that I've already been in Tumbes for three weeks! Seriously it's crazy how quickly time flies in the mission.

So for starters, last week on Monday we were able to go with a menos activo family (that's recently coming back to church) to a beach in Zorritos that's called La Policia. It was really beautiful and really hot, but we had a great time! Also we got a chance to talk to Paco the dad--that just happens to not be a member of the church, but that has been coming to church the last couple of weeks ;)--and that was really awesome! The best pdays are when we are able to have a good time and relax but still share the gospel!

This week was seriously so crazy, and we had so many good experiences that it would take wayyy too much time to describe it all, but we've been so blessed recently. We've started teaching the husband of a member of our ward, and it's pretty amazing because he's recieved lots of different missionaries before, but this time is a lot more receptive. His name is Edward and he's really humbled by how far away he's gotten in his relationship with God, which is really awesome (well, sad for him, but good for us because it means he's a lot more open to our help). It's amazing how Heavenly Father really has a time set apart for everyone. Maybe it wasn't his time before, but now is! He's been keeping his commitments pretty well so far, so hopefully we'll see some fruits in that way pretty soon!

This week was our Multizone conference. Seriously there's something so amazing about getting together in a group of missionaries! This time it was our zone's turn to give the musical number, so we sang Let us all press on--the first and third verses in English and then the second verse in Spanish. It's been really fun lately because the mission is putting a lot of focus on helping the Latino's learn English, so prayers and hymns and introductions in English are becoming really common. We had a district language study this week where I  was able to help my district learn how to pray and to introduce their companions in English. It's really neat to feel so helpful! 

For the Multizona we're each supposed to prepare a 5 minute talk on a certain subject, and at random points throughout the conference (without more than 2 minutes warning) they call someone to give their talk. I prepared something just in case...but there's always that thought...no way they'll call on me right? Well...I was wrong. Haha. I got called on, and even though I didn't say anything that I'd prepared and I basically totally forgot spanish when I got in front of everyone,I think it turned out okay haha. 

We focused a lot this conference on being Preach My Gospel missionaries and how studying the book every day will help remind us how we can accomplish that. I really can testify that the manual Preach My Gospel is a very powerful tool, and I encourage each of you to take the time to read it and look for how you can apply it in your life!

The best part of this week was probably Sunday. We were able to do divisions and it was really amazing. We were able to visit and meet some really wonderful people that have TONS of potential. I'm really excited to see where these next few weeks takes them! Also, it was a really neat time for me because recently I've been feeling like my parts of the lessons have been a little bit under par, but when I was with a different companion in our divisions, I was really able to see that I shouldn't be so hard on myself, and that the Lord really has taken the little that I have to offer and helped me grow. The Spanish is hardly even a problem...something that never ceases to amaze me and something that I thank the Lord for every single day. 

I want you all to know that I have a testimony of this gospel! I know it's true! Never forget that the most important thing we can do after we're baptized is Perseverar Hasta El Fin! (uhhh sorry, I literally can't remember what the phrase is in English...but it talks about it in 2 Nephi 31:20)
 Stay faithful to your covenants and never forget to thank the Lord for all that He's given you! Love you all tons and hope this week is a safe and fun one!

Love,
Hermana Garner


Samantha's companion
Brownie recipe in Spanish
Preparation of the brownie
The brownie making team

The final product

No comments:

Post a Comment