Wow what a week! Seriously so much happens everyday it feels like it's been a month but the weeks FLY BY! But I'm seriously loving the mission life here in Sullana. It's the best.
This week was pretty interesting. Especially Thursday through Sunday. Thursday (MAY 1st...where in the world did the time go?!) was Labor day here in Peru, and the missionary handbook says that holidays are the best time to go proselyting because it's easy to find everyone at home and gathered together as families...but almost every single one of our appointments fell through starting on Thursday and continued till Saturday. It was a little bit discouraging at first, but it was amazing to see how much the Lord blessed us as we continued to work and to go from plan a to plan b to plan c etc. I know that we were able to visit the people that we needed to this week, and I'm grateful that even though things didn't go the way that we had planned originally, the Lord had a plan and everything turned out just as it was supposed to :) Amazing how the Lord works in our lives huh?
On Friday night we were able to have a really special opportunity. When we were in a lesson with a menos activo named Carmita, we were able to meet her niece Mariella. When we asked her how old she was she said "Well, I'm 13 now since my birthday was on Saturday" and everyone that was in the room with us was like "What? It was your birthday? How come we didn't know?" and she told us about how she hadn't had any kind of celebration because her family barely has the money to buy enough food to last them most of the week. It broke our hearts to see how heartbroken SHE was about the whole situation. So Hermana Rios and I planned a little party for her and bought the ingredients to make keke. (TONS of eggs and sugar...but SO good haha) It was so neat to have the opportunity to help her feel special and also to be able to share a message with her and a few of her family members...service is the best!
On Sunday we had another new experience...we went on splits with acouple of the misioneras del barrio. It was pretty scary for me because I still don't really trust my Spanish a whole ton, but it actually went really well. The experiences we had, especially with my spanish, really helped me gain a little bit of confidence and it was really neat to see. Also, I was able to realize how much I really love my companion and how much we've been able to grow in the unison in our companionship...I really missed having her there! We have really started to become good friends in the last couple of weeks. She's taught me a lot about patience and being more laid back in the sense that the mission isn't about being a perfectly serious person all the time. It's about being ourselves and letting our investigators see that and how the gospel has helped us get where we are, so that we can help them realize that they want what we have in their lives!
Yesterday we had two of our investigators come to church and as it was fast and testimony meeting, it was a really neat experience for them. I was really glad they came, because they told us they didn't want us to come and get them, which usually means they won't show up, but they totally did! So happy. But Alejandro didn't come, and after church we saw and talked to him...he said that he's not really interested in being baptized and therefore we're probably wasting our time visiting him. I'm not really sure what happened because he was doing so well! Hopefully we can help him resolve his concerns this week.
Aaaannnddd yeah! That's pretty much been my week! Love you all! Can't wait to talk to the fam next Sunday!:)
Lovee,
Hermana Garner
No comments:
Post a Comment